Thursday, July 8, 2010

Workday #4 update

We have successfully finished our final workday and are ready for a little sightseeing. Last night we attended church and bible study at a small African American church in Birmingham. The worship was AMAZING with energetic gospel music, a powerful message, and a warm congregation who greeted us with incredible hospitality.

As I already said, work wrapped up today One group returned to Church of the Reconciler and Eastview Nursing Home. At eastview we sang, painted ladies' nails, and led bingo. Another group worked tutoring in the morning and then removing weeds and trees that had grown up around the church which houses Kid's Club. When they returned they were very sweaty, very dirty, but in very high spirits. Finally, a third group worked at a home for men with mental disabilities who are also in recovery. All 3 groups had another great day today.

Tonight, we are having a BBQ at a local park and have invited many of the people we've worked with through the week. We'll be celebrating a successful week here in Birmingham. In the morning we pack up and depart. It will be bittersweet for many of us who've made new friends from the other churches.

Looking at the week that has been, here are a few of the things I've heard our group say: "today, was the most meaningful day of my life," "When I walked into that room full of homeless people I was so scared, but after just a little while I figured out that they were people just like me and I had a great time with them," "after today, I know how lucky I am to have the parents I have and the friends that I have."

Finally, we know that the church is in mourning over the death of Val Knagg. Please know that our prayers are with all of you and especially Val's family. We prayed for you all last night before bed and there were more than a few tears. Val was a very special person and she went out of her way to show love and warmth to so many of our youth. The first time I met her, she beamed as she bragged about the exceptional youth at Axe. She will be missed and we are with you all in spirit.

Grace and peace to you all. See you in a few days.

-Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment