Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Workdays 2 and 3

Greetings from Birmingham, I am happy to report that seeds are sprouting! We have had an exciting few days with great experiences, challenging projects, awesome fellowship, and meaningful worship. Before I report on that however, I do need to break the bad news that I forgot my cable for my camera at home and will likely not be able to post any pictures until we return on Saturday. If I can find one among the other leaders, I will have several to post. The good news (aside from the good news I'll share in a moment) is that everyone is in very high spirits and we've had no major problems. The prayers that you all are sending our way are definitely working so keep them coming.

As I already mentioned, seeds are beginning to grow as the trip progresses. Our work projects have included: helping tutor children and young adults at a local ministry, continuing to help the very wild kids at the Kids Club, serving breakfast and visiting at the Church of the Reconciler, a United Methodist Church for the homeless, serving at low income senior centers, doing landscaping at a substance abuse center for men with mental disabilities, and more. Yes, that's a lot of work. We are definitely tired. However, the youth are growing in such profound ways.

Yesterday at the homeless church was the first time that 3 of our youth had ever spoken to a homeless person. Today at the senior center, the youth were confronted with the reality that many seniors who have lived good lives can easily suffer alone in a nursing home. Our group discussions have been extremely encouraging as the youth process this experience together.

You all should be so very proud of our youth. Last night, I asked them who had been very uncomfortable at any point at a worksite. They all raised their hands. However, you'd never know it when they are working. They get the job done and they do it well. Some of them have spent time sitting around a table with street people talking with them about their life. Others have been surprised when three year olds at kids club tell them about siblings who have been lost to gang violence. Right now as I am writing this to you I am actually getting choked up thinking about the growth and transformation I am witnessing. God is moving in this group and seeds are sprouting.

We have one day left of work and then will spend some time sightseeing. We are having a great time with the other groups and the youthworks staff is awesome. Everything is going exactly as it should!

I want to direct you all to a website. It is run by the Church of the Reconciler and is at www.prayforthehomeless.org . This site introduces you to many of the street people we have spent time with this week in downtown Birmingham and I hope you'll join us in praying for them. Church of the Reconciler is amazing and this site gives you a great window into their ministry. We'll share some more about it on our return.

Thanks again to everyone for your prayers and support. I'll d my best to get some pics posted but bear with me! Blessings to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment